Frequently Asked Questions
**Please note: It is recommended that you schedule your appointment outside of your monthly cycle.
What exactly is Permanent Makeup?
Permanent makeup is a state-of-the art form of cosmetic tattooing. The specialized techniques used for permanent cosmetics are often referred to as micro-pigmentation. The cosmetic implantation technique deposits previously mixed pigment into the dermal layer of the skin using a tattooing technique.
How are Permanent Makeup Procedures done?
On the market there are various machines and methods, including the traditional coil machines, the rotary machine, and the bamboo stick and needle technique. At Urban Bliss Spa, we use a Micro-Pigmentation pen-like needle which is quiet, precise, comfortable and a sophisticated delivery of permanent makeup. A sterile needle located at the working end of the pen-style handle is used to draw on the skin surface. For feather-touch brow technique, a sterile angular needle is placed into a stainless steel pen and manually feathered into the brow area creating hair like strokes whilst depositing the pigment into the dermal layer of the skin.
Who can benefit from Permanent Makeup?
• Adult women/men, who wish to enhance their existing facial features.
• Visually impaired people who have difficulty seeing without glasses.
• Women who want to look their best at all times.
• Women who don’t usually wear makeup for various reasons such as “never could apply it correctly” or “can’t be bothered with applying it”, etc.
• Men who want to have natural subtle look without looking “made-up”.
• Mothers and other busy professionals who don’t have time to apply makeup.
• People with allergies or sensitivities to over the counter cosmetics.
• Physically active people who want to look their best throughout activities such as swimming, hiking, biking, yoga, tennis or aerobics without worrying about ‘sweating it off’.
• People with motor impairments, including those with arthritis, Parkinson’s disease, multiple sclerosis, stroke victims and those with unsteady hands, etc. • Media workers, entertainers, actresses and models.
• Alopecia areata or alopecia universalis sufferers who have lost some or all of their facial hair, including eyebrows and or eyelashes.
• Post-surgical/injury patients, including those seeking re-pigmentation of the areola (nipple) complex after reconstructive surgery, camouflaging of scars from burns, surgery, accidents or injuries.
• Chemotherapy recipients with full or partial hair loss.
What types of permanent makeup enhancements can be done at Urban Bliss?
• Eyeliner, upper and lower
• Beauty marks
How long does permanent makeup last?
Technically permanent cosmetic procedures are considered permanent because the colored pigment is implanted into the dermal layer of the skin and cannot be washed off. However, as with any tattoo, fading can and will occur, requiring periodic touch-ups. As a rule, count on it lasting approximately 5 years. Using sunscreen will help prolong the life of your tattoo. Having cosmetic tattooing on the face will not last as long as a regular tattoo as your face is constantly exposed to the environment. Sunscreen based moisturizers are key to helping protect your tattoo.
How much does permanent makeup cost?
The average cost per procedure is competitive with the other permanent makeup business in the Lower Mainland region. Remember this is your face. The cost of the procedure should not be the most important issue when consulting a potential permanent makeup Artist or Micro Pigmentologist. Most important is the training and skill of the person performing the procedure.
How long does each procedure take?
The initial procedure will generally take approximately 2 to 2 ½ hours. The 6 week touch-up procedure (if required) takes considerably less time.
What should I expect when I arrive for my permanent makeup consultation appointment?
Time wise, expect that the consultation will take approximately 30 minutes. During this preliminary assessment appointment, you will be asked to complete the medical history form and a consent form. A discussion will follow to establish accurately what you expect form a permanent makeup procedure. Your concerns and questions such as shape, color, after-care, anesthetics and fee, will be addressed at this time. Then we will determine the perfect color. In Canada, the pigments used are made of the ingredients which are approved by FDA and Health Canada. Once the perfect color formula is achieved it will be subsequently recorded in your chart for future touch-ups.
Is it painful?
Permanent Makeup procedures are of a skin-invasive nature (as they are a form of tattoo) and therefore you may experience some discomfort. This varies according to each individual’s pain threshold and the skills of the technician performing the service. However, keep in mind that there are different methods available to help with pain management, including various topical numbing agents.
Is it safe?
As previously mentioned, micro-pigmentation is a skin-invasive procedure. It is a tattoo, and it is your right to be informed. Health Canada has set standards for a clean and sanitary working environment and sterile equipment. Things to look for: Most important: needles used should be new and sterile for each procedure and disposed of properly after each patient. Gloves should be used for each client and changed during the procedure when needed. If you have any doubts regarding your medical history, you should consult your family physician prior to doing this procedure.
Is there any product I can purchase to relieve the pain?
You may experience some tingling & tenderness a few hours after the procedure. You shouldn't experience any pain. I provide a free pack of Vaseline with Vitamin A&D which I recommend you use every 2 hours after the procedure. When you wash your face, use cool water and pat the area with tissue then re-apply the Vaseline with a clean Q-Tip every 2 hours or when you experience tingling. The area may feel itchy while the skin heals; this is normal. Apply the vaseline to relieve the itchiness. It takes approximately 6 to 8 weeks for your tattoo to heal to the desired color and result. The Vaseline is all you will need to help with the healing process of your new eyebrows. You will also need to stay out of the sun and apply sunscreen to the area to protect the color.